Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Psalm 51:3-6, 12-17

3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. 5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. 6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts [a] ; you teach [b] me wisdom in the inmost place. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me…13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you. 14 Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. 15 O Lord, open my lips,and my mouth will declare your praise. 16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. 17 The sacrifices of God are [a] a broken spirit;a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

All Things of Dust to Dust Return

All things of dust to dust return

on earth and in the sky.

The hottest, brightest suns that burn

in time grow dim and die.

The fish that leap, the birds that soar,

the newborn young that play,

the leaves that fill the forest floor

revert to dust and clay.

Lord, mark with dust and ash my brow

so I may comprehend

that every moment here and now

links me to that same end

I share with all that breathe and burn,

that flare and fade and tire

yet by their waning light discern

your own undying fire.

Lord, mark upon my brow this sign:

a stark and barren cross

reminding me that though divine

you know my pain and loss,

and at the touch of dust and ash

awake my heart to view

how death itself is but a flash

that dies away in you.

Thomas H. Troeger

copyright © 2009 Oxford University Press

from God, You Made All Things for Singing, forthcoming in 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment